OK Stores is one of the largest retailers in South Africa where consumers can buy food, groceries, furniture, home appliances and liquor. The OK Foods division has several stores around the country and it runs special promotions and competitions on a weekly basis. The major competitions are published on the OK Foods online store, and winners are announced every month. There are competitions from January to December where grand prizes such as Bakkies and over R600,000 of shopping vouchers are won.
Most of the times, the only requirement to enter an OK Competition is buying qualifying products which allow you to participate in the draw. If you already shop at OK, then you always enquire from the cashiers or shopping assistants if there is any competition. They will probably give you some promotional leaflets or banners, which you can read through to find some items which you can buy to enter the competition.
The following are some of the OK Competitions that you can join. To keep updated on current promotions, you should join the OK Facebook Page and read the store news blog.
Win R500,000 Shopping Vouchers – Big OK Price Freeze
This is the biggest overall amount that is awarded in any OK Foods competition. This annual competition is designed to reward as many people as possible for shopping at OK. The big prize is shared among South African contestants and each winning participant will get an OK shopping voucher. The prize cannot be converted into cash, but you can only use your voucher to shop at any OK store nationwide.
The R500,000 OK Voucher contest, also known as the “Big OK Price Freeze”, starts early in the year and the deadline for entries is 2 August. So basically, you have more than 7 months to enter the competition. Just make sure that you enter as many times as you can to increase your chances of winning a prize. Whenever you are doing your weekly shopping or filling up your trolley, include items that will allow you to participate in the contest. Keep all your receipts because they might be needed as proof of entry to claim your prize.
Joining the OK Voucher competition requires a few steps. When you reach the Point of Sale machine in any OK shop, the cashier will scan your items and a unique contest entry number will be indicated on your receipt if there are qualifying goods in your basket. You have to dial up the entry number on your cellphone and you will receive instructions and confirmation. Instead of dialling up the entry number, you can send a text message to the dialling code that is indicated on the till slip.
Holders of the OK Loyalty Card have automatic entry to OK Foods competitions. They don’t need to go through the hassles of buying participating products and sending entry codes. If you want to receive such benefits, you have to join the OK Loyalty program.
OK Facebook Page Competitions – Win R1,000 Shopping Voucher Every Week
As part of seasonal competitions, OK also runs competitions on Facebook. Facebook contests increase the number of fans and followers. Every week, shopping vouchers worth R1,000 are awarded to 4 winning participants. If you are on Facebook like most people, you should definitely never miss a chance to participate because the entry requirements are often as easy as being one of the first people to leave a comment on a post, in response to a quiz posted by Administrators.
OK Win a Bakkie Competition
This is one of the most popular competitions that OK shoppers are eager to join. The prize is big and it’s probably the biggest prize that you can win in any OK competition. Up for grabs is a Bakkie. A bakkie is a small and tough utility car which is shaped like a pick-up truck for carrying goods in back space. The reason why people love bakkies is that they are affordable utility vehicles which are good for transporting big items such as fridges, beds, tables and other bulky goods. A bakkie doesn’t look like a regular truck, but it is small and shaped like a car for attraction. It’s a lightweight and versatile low-rider that can fit any occasion.
In 2016, a total of 16 Nissan NP200 bakkies were up for winning in the OK end of year Christmas competition. You have to wait until October to enter this competition and by 27 December, entries will be closed.
The competition is open to residents of South Africa or Namibia. To enter the competition, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a resident of South Africa or Namibia.
- Buy a selected product from OK supermarket that allows you to enter the competition. A list of participating products is published by OK. You should download the list and see which items you can buy. There are at least 42 items on the list and most of them are basic household consumables which you buy on a regular basis.
- Pay at the till and write your name, postal address and phone number on the receipt. Drop the receipt in the entry box provided in the store. Instead of writing your details on the receipt, you can ask for an entry form on which you are required to write the invoice number on your receipt.
- Participants must have a bank account with a South African bank.
- To enter the competition as many times as you can, you have to purchase items on separate receipts, but make sure that each receipt includes the participating product.
- Entries should be dropped at OK Foods stores or supermarkets. (OK Furniture and OK Enjoy are excluded from this competition.)
- The approximate date for announcing winners is towards the end of February after New Year. Check the winners on the OK Foods website on 27 February.
- If you have been announced as a winner, you must visit the OK store where you dropped your entry form or receipt. Talk to the staff and they will tell you the date for collecting your prize.
- The bakkie cannot be converted into a cash prize.
OK Easter Competition – Win R2,000 Vouchers
Easter is a Christian holiday where believers commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus and his subsequent rise from death. It is also a national holiday which allows people to take a break from work and spend time with loved ones or visit places.
By participating in the OK Easter Surprises competition, you can walk away with OK vouchers valued at R2,000 to give to your loved ones. Sixteen winners are chosen for this prize.
Win a Cooler Box in the OK Liquor Competition
Do you enjoy drinking alcohol on your weekly outings? Why not take a break from visiting your local pub or bar for a change, and step into an OK Liquor shop to buy your favourite brandy? In the OK Liquor promotion, you can win a cooler box on display. All you need to do is buy a participating product. Products that have been promoted in the past include the 5 Year and 10 Year KWV brandy.